As I reach the big 25 it was only fair for me to do something cool. Going out for drinks and get crazy? Nope, in comparison to the rest of the guys my age I’m boring. However, what I will do is write out an interview, like the soccer players do. I feel like its time for reflect on the ups and downs over these 25 years. Without further chit-chat here’s my interview:
GLAD TO FINALLY SIT DOWN WITH YOU MAN, TELL ME ABOUT YOU?
– I’m a bit nervous, but it’s good to see you as well. My name is Juan Carlos and to my surprise, I’ve turned 25, originally from Ecuador but residing in the States now. I’m also a Political science major but besides that, I’m still thinking about Football (soccer) 24/7.
DID YOU ALWAYS LIKE SOCCER OR IS IT SOMETHING THAT CAUGHT YOUR ATTENTION?
– A little of both really, but to be honest if it didn’t catch my attention I don’t know what could have happened.
IVE NOTICED YOU USE THE NUMBER 9 CONSTANTLY, ANY MOTIVE BEHIND IT?
– Of course, his name is Ronaldo, but let me be clear I’m talking about the Brazilian one. There was something that caught my eye instantly and ever since he’s been my all-time idol. The number 9 is my way of keeping his influence as close to me as possible.
AS YOU TURN 25 IM SURE YOU’VE SEEN MANY GREAT PLAYERS, CAN YOU NAME THE ONES YOU REMEMBER?
– Yea but let me warn you these are names of players from all part of the world. Let me see, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Cafu, Kaka, Gilberto, Rivaldo, Roberto Carlos, Robinho, Oliver Khan, Miroslav Klose, Thierry Henry, Zidane, Ze Roberto, Zambrotta, Totti, Edison Mendez, Agustin Delgado, Ivan Kaviedes, Ivan Hurtado, Patricio Hurrutia, Francisco Cevallos, Alex Aguinagua, Gatusso, Nesta, Gerrard, Puyol, Inzaghi, Drogba, Pirlo, Lampard, Robben, Xavi, Xavi Alonso, Pirlo, Carlos Tenorio, Buffon, Riquelme, Saviola, Martin Palermo, Hernan Crespo, Claudio Pizarro, Jared Borgetti, Oswaldo Sanchez, Rafa Marquez, De Piero, Pavel Nedved, Shevshenko, Tim cahill, Torres, Pedro, David Villa, Chilavert, Otilino Tenorio, Chucho Benitez, Salvador Cabañas, Zlatan, Messi, Cristiano, Isco, Iniesta, Casillas, Ochoa… I would go on but I’m sure you have more questions haha.
THE BEST TEAM YOU’VE SEEN IN YOUR LIFETIME?
– Without a doubt Pep Guardiola’s Barcelona.
WHAT WOULD BE THE BEST MEMORY SOCCER HAS GIVEN YOU?
– I’ve had the enormous honor to meet Pele if I analyze the lucky few who get the chance to shake his hand it would have to be that. However, I stay with the memory of watching my country qualify for their first world cup in 2001. It was a historic day, but what made it truly special is the fact that I got to share it with a person that’s no longer here. I wouldn’t change that for anything.
WHAT ABOUT THE WORST MEMORY?
– It actually happened recently. The way Ecuador lost against Chile actually gives me stomachaches from time to time. After that then I would say when Ronaldo retired, I actually cried when he gave that press conference.
IS THERE A PARTICULAR MANAGER YOU LOOK UP TO?
– Yeah, It would have to be Marcelo Bielsa. He did excellent stuff at Newels back in Argentina but I really took notice of his work when he managed Chile in 2010 and then Bilbao after.
LET’S GO INTO A MORE PERSONAL LEVEL NOW, I KNOW IT’S DIFFICULT BUT HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH YOUR DISABILITY?
– I just don’t let it get to me, don’t get me wrong there are some days that I just want to stay home and just don’t deal with people. Shortly after I just get up and put my headphones on blast. That’s my everyday routine.
I HEAR THAT YOU INSPIRE PEOPLE. HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT THAT?
– Honestly, it bothers me. The reason why is because people look at me as this person that has limits and it’s doing what others in a better position don’t do. I mean I’m aware of my difficulties but why see me as a source of inspiration? If anything I would like people to see me as a regular person with flaws and all. Nobody is perfect, that includes me.
FRIENDSHIPS AND LOVE?
– I’m lucky to have come across amazing people. They all have played a roll whether towards improving my personality, academics and even my self-esteem believe it or not. When it comes to love I feel like either I missed out on chances or that maybe I don’t fit in today’s dating world. I’ve said this a lot but I strongly believe that society is too superficial now. In my case, I cant compete in a superficial society.
– It’s essential, without them I would probably be on the streets. In fact, everything I’m doing is to repay all the trust they put on me. Hopefully, I can achieve my goals and make them all proud, especially my grandpa, who I truly miss.
ARE YOU AWARE OF YOUR LIMITS?
– Of course, trust me whenever my body reminds me of those limits it’s a horrible feeling. In the end, I cant do anything about it so I just take it slow.
WHAT WOULD YOU SAY TO YOUR 10-YEAR-OLD SELF?
– The only thing I would tell him is to enjoy the time he has with the people around him. However, I would also advise him to start toughening up a little because what lies ahead is nothing but bad moments. I feel that by telling him that things would be easier for him.
NOW TO FINISH. BASED ON ALL THE EXPECTATIONS THAT FORMED AROUND YOU, ARE YOU WERE YOU WANTED TO BE AT 25?
– Absolutely not. First of all, why did many think I was going to have it all figured out? Second, It’s not like life was going to give me a free pass on everything. On a more personal level though, I feel like I’ve gained self-confidence. It’s important because without self-confidence I would probably be failing in life, thankfully it’s not the case. However like I said before, as long as I have great people and my family around me I’ll be ok in the end. I understand 25 are a milestone but I know ill reach my goal sooner or later, right?
Yea yours truly turns 25 the day this is posted. Many will probably dislike my view on some things but hey “ The world ain’t sunshine and rainbows”. Anyway, Happy birthday, right?